Test Rig Thermal Hydraulic Scaling Expert
Make a difference with a world class company
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Test Rig Thermal Hydraulic Scaling Expert, to work for Rolls-Royce SMR in Derby or Warrington on projects that will contribute to the global reduction of carbon emissions. This is a unique opportunity to be involved in the design project for a new nuclear power station and the establishment of a world class testing capability. Blueprint Recruitment, working with Rolls-Royce SMR and Morson RPO, is looking for a talented and ambitious engineer to join Rolls-Royce SMR's innovative and dynamic Test Capability Team.
About the Company:
Rolls-Royce SMR is a new business, specifically created to design, construct and deliver a new fleet of Small Modular Reactor power plants that will contribute to Net Zero carbon emissions globally. Created through Rolls-Royce's passion for engineering excellence and with world class investment, this is an exciting new business which expects to become a leading player in the future of energy.
About the Role:
The Test Rig Thermal Hydraulic Scaling Expert will lead the thermal hydraulic scaling team and provide technical direction and governance to build the team's capability.
The Development Engineering organisation itself has responsibilities for proving that the SMR power station design meets its objectives and requirements. This will encompass the area of nuclear engineering as well as the broader scope of delivering a major infrastructure project.
You will be a Chartered Engineer (or similar) and have a degree in Engineering, Physical Sciences, Mathematics or a related discipline. You will also have:
- An excellent knowledge of reactor plant thermal and hydraulic behaviour, with experience of developing mathematical models in MATLAB, Python or similar.
- Experience of technical and project leadership in a similar field.
- Experience of using sophisticated scaling methods such as Hierarchical Two-Tiered Scaling is desirable.
- Experience of one or more of industry standards codes, such as RELAP, COBRA-TF, MAAP, GOTHIC, HTRI and CFD, is desirable.
- Strong people leadership skills and the ability to build and develop a capable team of engineers.
- Strong planning and organisational skills and great communication skills.
- A willingness to challenge conventional thinking, with the desire to make a difference.
Key Responsibilities for the Role will be:
- To develop the test rig thermal hydraulic scaling strategy.
- To lead the thermal hydraulic scaling team, providing supervision and leadership.
- Provide technical expertise to develop mathematical models (produced in MATLAB, Python or similar).
- Work collaboratively with the reactor performance and system design teams to ensure an optimised set of scaling ratios are defined.
- Act as the technical authority for test rig thermal hydraulic scaling.
Benefits and Work Conditions:
- A highly competitive salary is on offer along with a performance related bonus.
- A range of flexible benefits are available to choose from, enabling you to create a bespoke package to suit your needs.
- Travel: the location of work can be either Derby or Warrington.
- Flexible working / hybrid and remote working patterns are available with agreement
- Working hours are 37.5 hrs per week with some additional hours as and when required.
- Rolls-Royce SMR are an equal opportunities employer.
To avoid missing out on this exciting opportunity, please contact Molly Brown on or quote . Alternatively, you can apply directly by clicking the 'Apply' option and following the instructions.