- Specializes in a surgical specialty area where applicable, serving as a resource to others and assisting with complex surgical cases.
- Sets up (according to each physician s specification) and operates the various types of equipment used during procedures; especially as it relates to the area of specialization. Maintains a specialty cart or item, ensuring its completeness and availability. This includes checking the working condition of equipment, sterility, and sending damaged items out for repair.
- Precepts Surgical Technologists I. Anticipates the Technologists I ability to handle a situation and intervenes when appropriate.
- Provides for a clean, safe and efficient area conducive to optimal patient care. This includes the application of knowledge and experience with aseptic surgical technique in the preparation of materials, supplies and equipment for the surgical procedure (i.e., assistance with gowning and gloving; preparation and draping of the surgical area; provision of a sterile field, instruments, suture and related materials; anticipation of the surgeons needs; passing of instruments and/or supplies; holding of retractors, observing and reporting possible breaks in aseptic technique; and assisting in maintaining a sterile, dry, unobstructed field).
- Performs all types of procedures and maintains basic knowledge of a variety of procedures.
- Ensures the environmental disinfection, safety and efficiency of the operating room. This includes setting up the room for each case including moving equipment (i.e., tables, cameras, microscopes, fracture table, and instrument pans) and returning equipment post procedure.
- Adheres to institutionally approved infection control policies.
- Notifies appropriate staff of equipment and supply problems.
- Performs various patient positioning and transporting duties, which require lifting and pushing/pulling, while utilizing proper technique and/or transports equipment and supplies.
- Serves as a Second Assistant when necessary. Assists in the instrument room by cleaning and wrapping instruments, where applicable.
- Must be able to demonstrate knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served. Must demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patient s status and interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient s requirements relative to his/her age-specific needs, and to provide the care needed as described in the department s policies and procedures. Age-specific information is developed further in the departmental job standards.
Licensure, Registration, and/or Certification Required:
- Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers certification issued by the American Heart Association (AHA) needs to be obtained within 6 months unless department leader has determined it is not required.
- Completion of an accredited or approved program in Surgical Technology.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
- Demonstrated ability to meet Surgical Technologist I competencies.
- Familiarity with and adept with all types of procedures within their specialty.
- Maintains basic knowledge of a variety of surgical procedures.
- Maintains knowledge of various types of equipment used in the Surgical Center.
- Participates in call coverage following satisfactory completion of formal orientation.
- Participates in relevant educational programs and department meetings.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to sit, stand, walk, lift, squat, bend, and reach above shoulders and twist frequently during work shift.
- Must be able to withstand a very stressful and fast-paced environment.
- Must be able to:
- lift up to 50 lbs. from floor to waist.
- carry up to 40 lbs. a reasonable distance.
- Must be able to:
- push/pull with 30 lbs. of force.
- perform a sliding transfer of 150 lbs. with a second person present.
- Will be required to use foot pedals on carts or machines.
- Must have functional sight and hearing.
- Will be exposed to the following hazards on a continuous basis: mechanical, electrical, chemical, radiation, blood and body fluids.
- Will be required to wear masks, gloves, goggles, and gowns.
- Operates all equipment necessary to perform the job.
This job description indicates the general nature and level of work expected of the incumbent. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of the incumbent. Incumbent may be required to perform other related duties.