Union Tank Car Company
Come join a team where People make the difference! As a part of Marmon Holdings, Inc., a highly decentralized organization, we rely heavily on people with the aptitude, attitude, and entrepreneurial spirit to drive our success, and we're committed to attracting and retaining top talent.SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The Payroll Specialist shares accountability for the processing of all UTLX payrolls for both hourly (weekly) and salaried (semi-monthly) employees, the maintenance of payroll records, review of preliminary payrolls, tax withholdings, garnishments/levies, interrogatories and direct deposits to provide accurate, timely compensation of employees. Additionally, the position shares accountability for the review and maintenance (establishing new accounts & closing accounts) of City, State and Federal tax reports including W-2 and W-2c on the dates required by law, which ADP is responsible for filing.
Primary responsibilities and/or essential functions include, but are not limited to:
- Assists with the processing of weekly and semi-monthly payrolls ensuring timely issuance of paycheck to employees. Processes payrolls in the absence of the Payroll Supervisor.
- Maintains accurate records of payroll documentation and transactions.
- Investigates and resolves payroll discrepancies, answers payroll questions and assists with providing auditors with requested information.
- Ensures that all garnishments/wage deduction orders are handled by answering interrogatories, generating calculations and ensuring that all garnishments, tax levies and child support actions are entered into the system. Notifies agencies when garnished employees terminate and ensures that garnishments/wage deduction orders are stopped when the order is stopped, or the outstanding owed amount has been paid in full.
- Records and reports payroll tax withholdings to various City, State and Federal agencies on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis.
- Assists the Payroll Supervisor with reviewing on a monthly basis, payroll accounts in the General Ledger are analyzed for control purposes, journal vouchers are prepared to properly distribute the payrolls to various withholding and liability accounts and check requests are prepared to transfer payroll withholding for union dues, credit union, employee purchases, etc., to the agencies due these amounts.
- Partners with Corporate Tax to set-up accounts due to new states and provides other items needed.
- Partners with Accounts Payable when a check is needed that is produced outside of the payroll system.
- Responds to inquiries from employees, HR Managers and Supervisors/Managers regarding pay computation or how to update information such as direct deposit, withholdings, etc.
- Notifies HR Managers when pay advices are returned and advises employees to update their address.
- Provides W-2 to terminated employees if they are unable to access.
- Runs audit reports and makes appropriate changes in the system based on results.
- Reviews and handles incoming mail directed to the Payroll department.
- Participates in others special projects as assigned.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Detail orientated with the ability to multi-task and manage time effectively to meet deadlines.
- High numerical aptitude and the ability to handle confidential information is essential.
- Solid understanding of accounting fundamentals and payroll best practices.
- Knowledgeable and understanding of the payroll system.
- Ability to learn and continuously grow by gradually taking on additional responsibility and challenges.
- High School diploma or equivalent required; Associates degree in Finance or Accounting preferred.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of payroll or accounting work experience which includes thorough knowledge of government tax forms & requirements within multi-state environment.
Please note the duties listed are not set forth for purposes of limiting the assignment of work. They are not to be construed as a complete list of the many duties normally to be performed under a job title or those to be performed temporarily outside an employee's normal line of work. Duties, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Following receipt of a conditional offer of employment, candidates will be required to complete additional job-related screening processes as permitted or required by applicable law.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and all applicants will be considered for employment without attention to their membership in any protected class. If you require any reasonable accommodation to complete your application or any part of the recruiting process, please email your request to , and please be sure to include the title and the location of the position for which you are applying.