- Greets patients and visitors and responds to routine requests for information. Answers telephone, screens calls, and takes messages.
- Registers patients; obtains demographic and insurance information; verifies insurance coverage, collects co-pays, deductibles, and previous balances; posts payments and updates demographic and insurance information.
- Schedules patient appointments and coordinates cancellations, reschedules, and additions to schedules. Provides accurate, detailed information regarding test preparations, time patient to arrive, and any other directional information needed by patient.
- Updates insurance, financial responsibility and other data when changes or additions occur, and communicates to patient as appropriate.
- Ensures insurance and patient information obtained is complete and accurate, applying acquired knowledge of government and third party payer requirements.
- Identifies, reports, and resolves problems regarding registration to appropriate individuals and departments.
- Monitors patient flow to ensure they are cared for in the most efficient and courteous manner. Offers various assistance to patients to include: arranging transportation needs, providing directions, locating wheelchair, etc.
- Performs visit closure including checking out patients after visit, scheduling follow-up appointments, and providing patients with a visit summary.
- May file, retrieve, and/or deliver patient information and/or records, and completes required forms/documentation.
Licensure, Registration, and/or Certification Required:
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills; ability to effectively communicate with a variety of patients, staff and physicians.
- Intermediate computer skills including experience in using personal computers; including Microsoft Office or similar applications, and electronic mail.
- Training or experience in keyboarding/data entry with an emphasis on speed and accuracy.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to read and understand verbal and written instructions, and to sort and file information alphabetically and numerically.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment with a strong attention to detail and accuracy.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
- Exposed to normal medical office environment, may be exposed to potentially ill patients.
- Must be able to sit for extended periods of time.
- Operates all equipment necessary to perform the job.
This job description indicates the general nature and level of work expected of the incumbent. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of the incumbent. Incumbent may be required to perform other related duties.