Business Unit Description:
Michael Foods, Inc. is a leader in the food processing and distribution industry with business in egg products, refrigerated grocery and potato products. We offer exciting job possibilities throughout our organization where you can enhance your career, sharpen your talents and make an impact. Join our company and be part of an innovative team that's First in Food.
Michael Foods, Inc. located in Lenox, Iowa and often called the "Pearl of the Prairie" is where you can find small town living, focused on family and friends, with big city amenities not far from reach in Des Moines, Omaha, and Kansas City. Located in southwest Iowa, Taylor county, with a population of around 1400, the Lenox area reaches far beyond the city limits with beautiful and productive fields of corn, beans, and other croplands. Lenox holds an amazing four day Rodeo every July and is home to a beautiful 36-9 hole golf course, several fishing and boating lakes, great area hunting, a beautiful city park with swimming pool, and many picnic parks. The MFI location in Lenox produces primarily pre-cooked egg patties. With its friendly atmosphere, safe environment, and progressive spirit, Lenox is a great place to live, work, play, and raise a family.
The purpose of the packer is to pack finished high quality frozen egg products in cases according to customer specifications. The packer fills and folds omelets and prepares them for freezing; monitors and picks off defective egg products that do not meet customer specifications. Customers and the public benefit from the work packers do by the high quality safe product they package.
This position has the responsibility to comply with Safety work rules at all times as well as an obligation to reinforce Safety as a Core Value. Ensures that all policies, procedures and activities, related to Food Safety & Quality, are followed and complied with uniformly, in an effort to reduce product and process variability.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Sort and pack frozen egg products according to customer specifications while keeping pace with machinery and the conveyor system.
Read scales and check case weights according to customer specifications.
Lift and carry up to 50 lbs. safely.
Work in teams ensuring that the conveyor system does not back up and become jammed with product.
Rotate to different positions during shift.
Determine if product meets proper specifications or not and take corrective action as needed.
Assist in the general good housekeeping of the area.
Expected to adhere to safe work practices, follow GMP and HACCP guidelines, maintain sanitary conditions and ensure that product quality is maintained.
Report to management any conditions or practices that may adversely affect food safety, food quality or personnel safety.
Performs other duties as assigned.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- The ability to work in a fast paced environment and withstand constant motion.
- The ability to repeatedly lift and carry 30 lbs. and occasionally up to 50 lbs. safely.
- The ability to work indoors, on hard surfaces, in changing temperatures.
- Ability to travel stairs.
- Basic math skills.
- Basic verbal skills.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Follow all Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP's) and Safety regulations and wear Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) as required.
Ensures regulatory compliance at all times.
- Ability to read a limited number of two-and three-syllable words and to recognize similarities and differences between words and between series of numbers.
- Ability to print and speak simple sentences.
- Ability to add and subtract two digit numbers and to multiply and divide with 10's and 100's.
- Ability to perform these operations using units of American money and weight measurement, volume and distance.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in oral form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving one concrete variable in standardized situations.
EDUCATION AND EXPEREINCE REQUIRED:
- No prior experience or training