OHLA USA merges global expertise and a 100+ year legacy with the latest innovations and a strong regional footprint to deliver complex and challenging infrastructure and vertical construction projects. The company has more than 2,000 engineering and construction professionals from coast to coast and specializes in heavy civil construction and modernization of critical infrastructure projects, including highways, bridges, rail and mass transit systems, tunnels, and water resources. Through its vertical construction affiliate, OHLA USA provides construction management and pre-construction services to build and renovate healthcare, educational, and assisted living facilities in addition to many other important cultural, institutional, and commercial spaces.
OHLA USA is a division of international construction company, Obrascn Huarte Lain, S.A. (OHLA Group), headquartered in Madrid, Spain. The company's U.S. operations are headquartered in New York City with regional office locations in California, Texas, Florida, and Illinois. In 2021, OHLA USA secured many noteworthy and important contracts totaling $1.2 billion. Our portfolio of current and new contracts will continue to advance our growth as we continue to strive for excellence.
Extraordinary construction projects demand exceptional talent. OHLA USA brings together the construction industrys best and brightest who thrive in a collaborative work environment and who relish challenge and opportunity. We are currently seeking an Associate Counsel to join our legal team.
- Report to Senior Regional Counsel
- Review and prepare a wide range of commercial, construction and real estate contracts and learn how to effectively draft and negotiate contracts
- Work closely with senior counsel and outside counsel and learn to develop and implement strategies for resolving disputes and claims; participate in mediations and arbitrations
- Respond to subpoenas and discovery requests, and analyze documents for privilege
- Draft critical corporate documents and work on complex joint venture and partnership agreements
- Implement strategies that reduce legal, operational, compliance and regulatory risk and improve our legal processes
- Develop deep relationships with our construction project teams and key business partners
- Tour project sites throughout the region
To be successful in this role, youll need:
- A JD degree
- CA Bar
- A strong interest in working on big projects that change lives
- Have 0 - 3 years of experience
- A naturally curious nature you like to explore how things work and get to the bottom of things
- A friendly and professional manner that engenders trust
- Tolerance with ambiguity that comes in moments when the best answer is not obvious
- Open to the views and experiences of others and the learning that comes through feedback
- Excellent writing skills
- Ability to adjust to rapidly changing priorities
- Strong desire to be seen as a well-versed, trusted advisor who brings tremendous value to our organization
- A high EQ and IQ
- Meticulous attention to detail and superb proof-reading skills
- Fluency in Lexis, MS Word and Outlook and proficiency in MS Excel
- Ability to travel to project sites in the region
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.OHLA USA and its affiliates are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected class. OHLA USA and its subsidiaries (OHLA) shall not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from a candidate. Any unsolicited resumes sent to OHLA or an employee of OHLA, by mail, electronically, or otherwise will be considered OHLA property. OHLA will not pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume. OHLA will consider any candidate for whom an Agency has submitted an unsolicited resume to have been referred by the Agency free of any charges or fees. OHLA Human Resources is the only authorized representative of OHLA to execute any agreements with search firms or staffing agencies. As a condition for payment, a Vendor shall have OHLA USA Inc.s Personnel Agreement and a Job Order signed by an authorized OHLA HR representative. Verbal or written communications from any employee of OHLA and its subsidiaries shall not be considered binding obligations. All resumes whether unsolicited or solicited shall be the property of OHLA.