The California Independent System Operator (ISO) manages the flow of electricity across the high-voltage, long-distance power lines that make up 80 percent of California's power grid. We safeguard the economy and well-being of 30 million Californians by operating the grid reliably 24/7.
As the impartial grid operator, the California ISO opens access to the wholesale power market that is designed to diversify resources and lower prices. It also grants equal access to 25,865 circuit-miles of power lines and reduces barriers to diverse resources competing to bring power to customers.
The California ISO's function is often compared to that of air traffic controllers. It would be grossly unfair for air traffic controllers to represent one airline and profit from allowing that company's planes to go through before others. In the same way, the California ISO operates independently-managing the electron traffic on a power grid we do not own-making sure electricity is safely delivered to utilities and consumers on time and reliably.The California ISO is committed to the health, safety, and work/life integration of it employees and is proud to offer flexible work arrangements. This position would be eligible to participate in a fully remote schedule. Relocation Assistance is available.Job Description
Under the general direction of the Manager, design, test, and implement the direction for multiple applications in the area of forecasting and electronic tagging. Debugs, Researches, analyzes, and implements defect corrections. Guides team members in identifying root causes of systemic issues and recommends solutions. The Business Analyst provides and supports the needs of the Business Solutions Managers and brings awareness of IT processes and procedures to the business community. Ability to learn multiple areas in the details of Electronic tagging system and forecasting system regarding modeling and new techniques in the area of probabilities, optimization, time series, and Neural network.What You'll Be Doing:
QualificationsLevel of Education and Discipline:
- Identifies improvement methods and procedures for collecting and processing demand, energy, weather, and economic data by analyzing historical and forecasted electric demand, generation, and energy trends and related data. Acts as a technical project coordinator for the design, documentation, testing, implementation and support of applications for weather/forecast service providers.
- Participates in diagnosing and resolving issues related to interchange scheduling. Assists with the management of interchange resource configuration and supports new interchange scheduling initiatives. Participates in project delivery and testing.
- Responsible for supporting the Interchange Transaction and Scheduling System and the Forecast application in development environments used for market acceptance testing.
- Assists in diagnosing and resolving issues related to geospatial and weather service data providers. Participates in the development and implementation of new functionality in related applications.
Amount of Experience:
- Bachelor's degree (BA, BS) in Statistics, Mathematics, Economics, Engineering, Information Technology, Business or related field.
Type of Experience:
- This is an entry-level position, no experience required.
- Prior project or internship experience strongly preferred
Additional Skills and Abilities
- Experience using analytical and/or optimization techniques from one of the following disciplines:
- statistics, probabilities
- decision analysis, including optimization methods.
- Root cause analysis, business analysis, project experience or experience developing business or system requirements.
- Experience in the following strongly desired but not required:
- neural networks
- optimization techniques
- electronic tagging.
- Electric industry experience with utilities or ISO preferred.
- Demonstrates the ability to work effectively in a team environment as a facilitator and team member.
- Ability to provide practical and feasible solutions to problems, keeping multiple conflicting considerations into account.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and writing skills required.
- Strong analytical skills are required, including the ability to effectively communicate complex technical materials and concepts in a non-technical manner.
- Must be able to handle a dynamic and changing work environment, and work independently.
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Self-motivated, problem solving skills and the ability to influence others without direct authority.
Additional Information We will also consider applicants for an Applications Specialist position. This position requires a Bachelor's degree or equivalent education, training or experience in Statistics, Mathematics, Economics, Engineering, Information Technology, Business or related field and two (2) years of experience. Master's degree preferred.
- Strong logical reasoning, mathematics, analysis, and statistics preferred.
- Ability to continually learn modeling and new techniques in the areas of probabilities, optimization, time series, neural network, weather forecast and geospatial data as it relates to the electronic tagging and forecasting systems.